ABRI members discussed their priorities for the next 12 months at their AGM and associated meetings in March.
The Handheld Battery Working Group is working closely with industry and government stakeholders on the design of a national stewardship program. The group will also promote existing recycling services and develop further resources on safe and efficient collection and recycling systems.
The Big Battery Working Group (automotive and industrial batteries) is continuing its campaign to promote ‘responsible recycling’ of used lead acid batteries through increased engagement with regulators and waste generators. It will also undertake research and investigate strategies to manage used lithium batteries, which are expected to enter the waste stream in increasing quantities over the next 5-10 years.
A new Executive Committee was endorsed at the AGM:
– Paul Stainsby, Special Projects Officer, Supercharge Batteries (President)
– Stuart Hamilton, Southern Region Manager, R&J Batteries (Vice President)
– Matthew Palmer, Director Supply Chain Australia New Zealand, Marshall Power (Treasurer)
– Janet Leslie, Quality Safety and Environment Manager, Canon Australia
– Will LeMessurier, Director, MRI (Aust) Pty Ltd
– Bill Rock, Consultant, Dodd & Dodd Group
– John Gertsakis, Chief Sustainability Officer, INFOACTIV.