Australian Battery Recycling Initiative
ABRI's vision is simple: to achieve battery stewardship in Australia

Warning on the dangers of button batteries

Posted on: November 5th, 2013

Kidsafe Victoria has issued a warning to parents over the dangers posed by button batteries following the death of a four year old Queensland girl. In Australia, an estimated four children per week present to an emergency department with an injury related to a button battery.

Robert Caulfield, President of Kidsafe Victoria, said that button batteries pose a severe and little known risk to children. The batteries are often ‘invisible’ to adults, as many devices come with the batteries already installed.

Mr Caulfield noted that button batteries can be found in many common household items including remote controls, household electronic devices, car key, toys, cameras, bathroom scales, musical cards, computer accessories and wrist watches.

The ‘Battery Controlled Campaign’ was launched in Australia in 2012 by Kidsafe and the ACCC to raise awareness of button battery related injuries – more information can be found here.

Kidsafe’s top tips for keeping children safe around batteries:

– Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
– Keep coin-sized button batteries and devices out of sight and out of reach of small children.
– Dispose of old button batteries immediately.
– If swallowing of a button battery is suspected, go to the emergency room immediately.
– Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for additional treatment information.
– Tell others about this threat and share these steps.